Our Commitment to Safety in Colorado
HomeSmart's ongoing commitment to safety is a company value that is reflected in the expert certified training we provide to our employees, our compliance with state and federal regulations, and the protection of our customers, their property and the environment.
HomeSmart staff and technicians receive ongoing training in CPR, workplace safety instructions & techniques, safe driving practices, OSHA regulations, and they have access to the latest personal protective gear and first-aid equipment. Accident prevention is a top priority 24/7 at HomeSmart.
HomeSmart's commitment to the safety of our customers is reflected in the very products and services that we offer. For example, one of HomeSmart's more popular service plans is the annual tune-up and safety inspection, in which a HomeSmart service technician visits customer homes to ensure that the furnace, central air system and water heaters are all operating safely and at peak efficiency. HomeSmart also offers whole-home and single-room air purifiers that reduce and eliminate airborne viruses, allergens, and bacteria that may exist in your household.
As a division of Xcel Energy and the company's ongoing commitment to giving back to the community and helping to preserve the environment, HomeSmart employees utilize best practices when it comes to the environmentally-safe disposition of potentially hazardous chemicals and materials.
At HomeSmart, we take pride in our employees, and the communities that we serve throughout Colorado. We strive to be an industry leader when it comes to safety, and the fact that we have successfully been serving customers for over 100 years reflects our continuing commitment to providing a safe working environment both to our employees and our valued customers!
Electric appliances add to our comfort, but we must not take them for granted
We use electrical appliances to heat, cool, clean and perform countless other chores around our homes and businesses every day. It's easy to take these time-saving tools for granted and forget to put safety first. Here are some useful tips to help keep you and your appliances safe.
- When using space heaters, toasters, stoves, TVs or any heat-producing appliances, remember to keep combustibles such as paper, drapes or furniture clear of the appliance.
- Keep the appliance clean, operating properly and out of high-traffic areas.
- Unplug irons and space heaters when you are finished, and let them cool before storing.
- Never try to operate an electric appliance while touching metal, standing on a wet surface or while taking a bath or shower.
- A Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) automatically shuts off power to the outlet, protecting you from electrical shock and preventing fires. GFCIs should be installed in outlets near water sources such as bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, garages and outdoors. If your outlet has a red and black "test" and "reset" button, it has a GFCI.
- Keep all objects, including fingers, away from all electric outlets. To prevent injury to young children, use outlet covers and never overload outlets.
- Unplug appliances before cleaning, while performing minor repairs and when not in use.
- Keep motors clean and free from lint, dust and dirt.
- If an appliance sparks, smokes or shocks, unplug it and don't use it again until it has been repaired.
- Have a qualified electrician assess your electric load; leave repairs and installations to the experts.
- Avoid using extension cords whenever possible, but if you must use one, remember to:
- Use a heavy-duty cord for power tools, a weather-resistant cord for outdoors and a three-wire cord with a three-prong plug for appliances that require grounding.
- Avoid using a three-pronged adapter and never remove the third prong to create a two-prong plug.
- Avoid kinking, twisting or crushing the cord.
- Pull the plug, not the cord.
- Don't place a cord where it will be walked on, tripped over or damaged.
- Keep cords away from heat and water.
- Never wrap a cord around a metal pipe or an appliance, and don't run a cord under a rug.
- Replace blown fuses and light bulbs with correctly sized fuses, amperage and watts.